I believe in random acts of kindness. They make someone else feel better — even if they won’t admit it. But, best of all, they make you feel better. The goal of this giveaway is to spread a little love.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ~Leo F. Buscaglia
It can be as simple as brushing the snow from a stranger’s car at the grocery store to paying for someone’s Starbucks. You could help someone carry his groceries up the stairs or wipe the tears from someone’s face. If it’s nice, it counts — simple, grand, easy hard. Nicety wins in this case. I think the best random acts are those done anonymously, but they don’t have to be.
Now, remember, these are supposed to be random acts of kindness. So, if you normally walk your neighbor’s dog on Saturday mornings, that doesn’t count because it’s not random. I’m not the kindness police, so I can’t disqualify you for that — but it would certainly go against the spirit of this effort. Nice is nice, but I’d love if everyone truly committed spontaneous acts of kindness and generosity.
So, how do you win?
- Do something nice for someone who either doesn’t expect it or, even better, doesn’t deserve it.
- Write about it on your blog, a Facebook note or any other way you have of posting a story online. Talk about what you did, how it made you feel, the person’s reaction (if you were around to see it), etc. I wanna know how you spread the love.
- Post the link to your Random Acts of Kindness story in the comments section of this entry.
And, of course, the prize. This package is made up of things that make me feel better, no matter the day:
- Magnetic Poetry — Foodie Edition
- Fancy thank-you notes
- Blank, lined journal for recording your deepest kindest thoughts
- Some super-fun Post-It notes — boy do I love these little guys.
- A box of Yogi tea
- eos lip balm
- A $15 gift card to Schuler Books — my favorite indie bookstore. No worries, they have online ordering.
Last, but not least, the deets:
- Your comment with the link to your post must be received by 7 p.m. ET Friday, Feb. 4, 2011.
- You may only enter once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing using Random.org to receive the prize package.
- Open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.
- Winner will be notified by e-mail, so be sure to leave it when you comment on my post.
Well, what are you waiting for? Go be nice!
(Obviously, the value of this prize is not nearly as valuable of the outcome of your efforts to spread the love. It’s just a little added motivation to encourage a little more kindness in this world.)